Sunday, January 4, 2009

Butternut Squash and the Birds




While most people I know where probably sucking down Miller Lites around 4:30 this Sunday afternoon, I decided to whip up some Butternut Squash Risotto. Not because I think I am fancy or sophisticated, I was just hungry and out of Miller Lite.



I never made risotto or anything with butternut squash, unless you count baby food, but this was easier and better tasting that I expected. Ava's tongue was wagging throughout the entire cooking process. She even cheered me on as I grated cheese. Nothing makes you grated faster when your little one chatting, "Go Mommy, Go Mommy, Go."



Some of you must be thinking, why so excited about cooking rice? Well usually when I try something new my 3 foot tall in house food critic usually gives me a "Yuck," without so much of a taste. But tonight all I heard was "Mo Mama".



So a great meal and an Eagles WIN! What a day! Can you tell Ava was excited??



Here is the recipe if you want to try it out, another great one from Ina Garten, my cooking hero. I used less chicken stock and cooked it longer. Just keep adding and tasting you will know when you are finished.



http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/butternut-squash-risotto-recipe/index.html



No comments: